Monday, May 28, 2012

Makeover Mondays: Pillowcase Halter and Doo Rag

Happy Monday! This upcycle project was inspired, again, by a trip to Goodwill.  I promise I don't spend all my time there, but it's a great place to buy inexpensive fabric.  This time I came across these sweet vintage pillowcases.  I decided they would someday make something great, but didn't know what at the time.
After looking at them for some time at home, I decided they had to turn into little girl halter tops and I had the perfect ribbon for the project. 


My daughter (pictured here) is now 4 1/2, so this obviously was created years ago...which means there is no tutorial, but again, if you like to figure things out on your own, hopefully this will inspire you to make a halter top (or perhaps something you dream up) out of a pillowcase :)



At this age, her hair was always getting in her face, but it wasn't quite long enough to pull back.  I would put these little clips in her hair, but as fine as it was, it was always falling out.  So, I decided to make a doo rag with some of the pillowcase fabric I had leftover.  It worked like a charm and I think it was absolutely adorable.




I decided to make it double sided to get more use out of it and so I didn't have to be so careful with the hems.  The green side is an old sheet.


Here are a few more pictures of the hems/seams to give you an idea of what I did.  For the neckline, I'm pretty sure I sewed a few stitches in the center that went through the ribbon to keep it from falling out when it got washed or pulled on.  I sewed some elastic on the top of the back to help it hug her (even though I got it a little too big). 






Happy Sewing!

Molly

No comments:

Post a Comment