We just moved into our home last summer and it's nearly 50% larger than our first home. At any rate, we went from one sitting room to two and our budget doesn't accommodate buying new furniture. So, I combed craigslist for weeks waiting to find the right set of chairs for our living room. And, wouldn't you know it, some wonderful woman posted these ugly office chairs for free.
Convincing my husband to drive across town to pick them up and that they would actually be comfortable and nice looking when I was done was the hardest part of this project :) But, he's smart, so he finally agreed to go get them.
Here's what we picked up.
I immediately started taking out staples and screws. While I did this, I wrote down what I did so that I could redo it in reverse order. It's also a great idea to take pictures of each step to help if you get stuck on a particular step. When I had all the fabric off, I gave the wooden frames to my husband to sand and paint. I went to the fabric store and purchased fabric and 1" foam to make the seat a little more cushy.
I sewed the part that needed sewing and then my husband and I stapled and screwed them back together. Here's what the finished product turned out like.